Smartphones have made our life easier, they offer so many features in just one small package. Now you can get everything anywhere which you want just because of this Smartphone is a basic need of many millions.
We can identify any picture, song name by using Smartphone with specific apps and now it is possible to Identify and Get the name of Tree by using the Leafsnap Smartphone app. The Leafsnap Smartphone app is currently available on the iPhone and iPad but soon it will be available on the Android platform.
- iPhone users click on the image to download Leafsnap app
- iPad users click on the image to download Leafsnap app
Leafsnap is the electronic field guides being developed by researchers from Columbia University, University of Maryland, and Smithsonian Institution. Leafsnap Smartphone app is available free of cost. It uses visual recognition method like Google Image search, to help identify and get the name of tree species from photographs of their leaves.
Leafsnap database contains huge high-resolution images of leaves, flowers, fruit, petiole, seeds, and bark. Leafsnap currently includes the trees in the Northeast zone of U.S. and soon it will include the trees of the entire nation United States.
Leafsnap Smartphone app turns users into citizen scientists, automatically sharing images, species identifications, and geo-coded stamps of species locations with a community of scientists who will use the stream of data to map and monitor the ebb and flow of flora nationwide.
How Leafsnap Smartphone app works?
- First of all you need to install the application on your Smartphone
- Capture a photo of a leaf placed on a white background and then upload the image to a Leafsnap database which uses visual recognition method to identify and get the name of tree species
- After browsing through high quality images of leaves, flowers, fruit, petioles, seeds and bark, you need to select the appropriate species that matches to your captured photo and start to browse the data from their own electronic collection of trees that they have observed.